Objectives of the clothing photography with mannequins training: learn and master the issues, specificities, and basics of clothing photography in the sector on invisible (ghost) and real mannequins, know how to take into account the principle differences in shots, position and present an item (the different ways to wear it, the work on the folds), choose a lighting and its preparation, master shootings and learn the basics of photographic post-processing.
Clothing photography with mannequins training
Duration: 1 day (8 hours).
Method and educational resources: the training program takes place in a fully equipped studio. The provided photo equipment: Canon 1100D, 650D, or superior. Software: PackshotCreator and PackshotCreatorViewer, Lightroom and Photoshop. Mannequins provided.
Public: actors in the world of fashion and textiles: textile artists, designers, stylists, manufacturers, project managers, product technicians, buyers, category managers, or even product controllers.
Prerequisite: basic computer knowledge on PC or Mac.
Outline of the program in Clothing photography with mannequins training
1- Introduction to the challenges and specificities of the sector:
- In e-commerce, the shootings of clothing and flat-lay and worn accessories in the clothes business offer a lively and attractive solution for creating images and animations to present, for example, a whole collection of clothing.
- Shootings with the aid of mannequin/models has become widespread and has become a standard practice in e-commerce.
- What are the codes for offering fashion products and generating consumer interest?
- What are the codes of the ready-to-wear industry?
- Introduction to different types of lighting: daylight, neon, LED, and flash management.
- Basic shooting principles of the main clothing categories of flat-lay ready-to-wear: speed, aperture, sensitivity, and depth of focus.
- Introduction to the various shooting methods for in-studio ready-to-wear clothing.
- Prepare and equip the photo studio.
- Prepare and place items for the realization of shots on models/mannequins: jackets and long coats, coats and hoodies, sweaters, pants, shoes, shirts, blouses, shades, T-shirts, polos and tank tops, dresses, shorts, or lingerie.
- Work on the presentation and implementation of items (folds, different ways of wearing clothing and accessories).
- Create a system of repeatability of the placement of your different references (ghost image).
- Install and adjust lighting based on the standard size, the colors, the material, the drape, and the subject item’s material (from leather to silk, as well as linen and other synthetic textiles). Definition of shadowed areas to highlight various products.
- Management of the camera: exposure, adjustment, and focus.
- Adjust camera’s settings according to the product photographed.
- Preview on Live View.
- Product shooting.
- Case studies of flat-lay and worn shootings on different types of items. A product photographer shoot can take the form of different styles depending upon the specifications initially established: on a black or white background. The type of lighting is thus adapted to the particularities of each collection.
- Touch-ups: verification of sharpness, framing, and optimization of the product visual colors.
- Export the images to the desired format.
- Visual storage.
The benefits of this program
Acquiring the theoretical and practical fundamentals tied to the fashion business industry is synonymous with mastering the basics of directly useable quality visuals production. The trained trainee will be able, at the end of the session, to put on various types of mannequins, as well as photograph, clothing and accessories on a neutral background, ready to be integrated into a catalogue, on an e-commerce website, for archiving, or again for quality control.
30-day post-training follow-up.
Recognition of acquired skills
Certificate of completion in Clothing photography with mannequins training
Discover our in-depth sectoral training content
Discover our module about e-commerce visuals.
Our comprehensive cycles
Discover our customized sectoral training courses.